Sunday 8 September 2013

Exploring the Beautiful Australia

Time to start exploring!

I got to check out the Taronga Zoo with my good friend and her visiting family
This is my third zoo since being abroad 
I don't even like zoos that much! 
Taronga was the best by far though 
They had so many elephants, giraffes, zebras, a huge aquatic life area 
It was more than double the size of the other zoos 
It really was one of the best I've ever been to. 
And it didn't hurt that it overlooked the Sydney Harbour and the Opera House.



One of the things on my 'must do' list for my semester abroad was to go hiking. 
The smallest things make me extremely happy
 Like seeing the water 
I get really excited seeing the Harbour reflecting the lights of the city and bridge at night 
Or walking a trail and getting lost for hours
My friend Katrina and I were craving a good Aussie hike
We took the train out of Sydney about an hour
Found ourselves in a ghost town that had not one store open 
We took the bus too far but finally found ourselves at Lane Cove National Park
It was a beautiful walk along the river 
We found some awesome graffiti walls, a small waterfall 
we hopped on rocks to cross the water and continue the hike
It was a great time until we tried to find our way back 
We ended up walking along a highway for over an hour in search of our starting point or a bus stop
We made it home safely before our stomachs started to eat themselves 
It was a great day loving on all the nature. 


More than I was missing the beach a few weeks ago, now I was really missing the ocean
Salty hair
 Salty skin 
You know, mermaids can only survive for so long without the necessary dose of salt water
Good thing TEAN planned a surfing lesson for us at Bondi Beach! 
I have grown up around surfers- my dad is surf obsessed
but I have never been too keen on it myself
Regardless, there was no way I was passing up an opportunity to get in the ocean
I suited up in a full length wetsuit because it is winter over here 
the water is very very cold; I grabbed a red soft top longboard and hit the waves 
I probably only stood up on three waves but I did better than I thought I would 
I loved every second of being on the water with the salt consuming my body and hair
It was a beautiful morning that was over much too quickly
I will find my way back into the ocean soon! 


During my first week in Sydney I spotted a face across the Harbour Bridge
Not a human face but a huge, clown-like, scary looking face
Turns out its an amusement park called Luna Park 
I've been wanting to go ever since 
It looked pretty small and really cute, minus the creepy clown face
I never got around to going until now
I went on Friday night with two of my roommates- Sam and Mackenzie 
and Mackenzie's boyfriend Tim
It was a BLAST! 
I felt like such a kid, there was hardly anyone at the park 
The four of us just ran around and did every single ride until the park closed 
Mackenzie got sick from all the whirling and twirling and spinning and upsidedown rides 
Three of my favorite things at the park were:
1. bumper cars 
2. this huge, steep slide in the fun house that you sat on a rug to slide down and went super fast 
3. a ride that looked pretty childish but once the cars got moving we were spinning so fast  
I was literally stuck on Sam's lap and couldn't move if I tried
There was also a ferris wheel 
it overlooked the Sydney Harbour, Bridge and Opera House when it reached the top
So freaking beautiful! 
Again, it is the little things that make me so happy 
That Friday night I was having more fun than any kid at that park. 







No comments:

Post a Comment