Wednesday 22 February 2017

Letter to a High Schooler

Dear Sweet Girl, 

There are so many things that I wish we had the opportunity to talk about together. You are in the midst of what I think is the hardest stage of life. For me, from 10th grade through the first year of college was the hardest. They were the hardest because I had no idea who I was, although I definitely thought I did. All I wanted was to be loved, to be happy and to be accepted. I thought I found love… over and over in broken, unhealthy relationships. I thought I was happy, by partying and hanging out with people who I thought were my friends. I thought I was accepted, until friendships broke down and I graduated high school with one friend left. Life is hard, high school is hard, and then the first year of college was hard too. But mean while, I thought I was having the time of my life. I didn’t even realize I was miserable. Then things changed, I started to realize who I was, how to find joy in living, and that there was a greater purpose for my life.

For my whole life I ran away from Jesus. I didn’t do it on purpose; I didn’t even know that I was doing it. I was claiming to be Catholic, but at the same time I was acting however I wanted, whenever I wanted by doing whatever I wanted. I felt empty, unfulfilled and purposeless, but I didn’t even realize that at the time. The instant that I turned toward Jesus, I was 18; my entire life began to make sense. I felt peace, love, and joy that were different, deeper, and so much more real than anything I had ever experienced before. I started to understand that God created me, He loves me, He knows me in every way, He wants the best for me, and He is always there waiting for me when I turn away from Him. In choosing to do what He wants for my life, ever since that day, my life has been infinitely better and more fulfilling in every way. 

I hope you can sooner realize the same things that it took me until my second year in college to see for myself. God created you. He saw the oceans, the mountains, the flowers, and the animals, all of human existence… and then He thought the world needed Y O U.  He loves you unconditionally, He waits for you to come to Him, and He wants to fulfill the deepest desires of your heart. He wants to accept you, He wants to love you, He wants you to bring all your brokenness and pain to Him so He can heal you and make you new. It may not be now, next week, next year, or the year after, but whenever you go to Jesus, He will be already there ready to walk with you through all the days of your life.

It’s okay to struggle with God; I don’t know anyone who hasn’t. It’s okay to question Him sometimes and to question your faith. I think it can be a good thing, as long as you truly question by asking those questions. If life takes over, the world, the media, society, if those things lead us to doubting God and then we don’t truly go in search of the answers to those hard questions, we will never give ourselves the opportunity to find the truth and grow closer to Him.

Sweet girl, you are beautiful, you are loved, you are kind, and because you’re a part of this crazy world, we have all been changed for the better. When I say you’re beautiful, I don’t just mean you have killer hair and makeup – which of course you do and one day you’ll teach me – but what I mean is that your heart is beautiful and your soul is beautiful. Your dignity and value is not based on the things you do, mistakes you make, or on your successful accomplishments. Your dignity and value comes from the truth that you are a daughter of the King, our Lord. You are infinitely worthy of the most pure and beautiful love, and respect. You are completely unique, one of a kind, and irreplaceable. Do you realize that? There has never been anyone like you, and there will never be another Y O U in all of human history. No one could ever replace you, repeat you, or erase you. The things that make you different, make you stand out, make you unique, God made you that way with a purpose, so that you can use your specific gifts and talents to set this world on fire.

I love you and always will. 

Love + Prayers, M

No comments:

Post a Comment