Sunday 20 October 2013

The Best Adventure Yet

Adventures are my favorite thing in the world
any kind of adventure
literally, any adventure that you could think of, I would have a great time
Today I had the greatest adventure of my life so far
I just got back from Thailand about two weeks ago, 
That is still my favorite place and favorite trip
but as far as adventures go, this one wins 
no question about it

Today I went to the Blue Mountains
5 friends, High n' Wild adventure company and a beautiful day
We started the day waking up at 5am on this lovely Sunday morning
We caught a two hour train to Katoomba
had a quick brekky & met up with the High n' Wild leaders around 9am
It's bush fire season right now because of how dry it is here 
there's currently three fires burning in the mountains
so there was a lot of fog and smoke in the air 
but by the time we got to the cliffs it was clearing up and the view was incredible


We started off easy with a 5 meter cliff 
we put on harnesses, helmets and sneakers 
climbed into the mountains and began the day
It was terrifying at first- and this was only the baby cliff
Casually repelling backwards over the edge 
our trip leader said, "It's just the same as walking backwards on the ground, 
keep your feet flat on the rock and take backwards steps down."
Yeah, right!
We did two rounds "walking backwards" down the 5 meter cliff
then we were off to a higher one!


The second stop was a 15 meter cliff
I felt more comfortable after successfully making it down 5 meters first
we did this one twice also
by then I felt like I knew what I was doing
Thinking about foot placement, or anything, too much made it a lot harder
It worked better to not think about it and just go, safely of course
it was really the coolest feeling 


The third cliff was AMAZING 
it was 30 meters, double the height of the last one 
and if that wasn't intimidating/exciting enough..
for the first 10 meters we were abseiling as usual, walking backwards down the cliff
but the final 20 meters, we were just hanging
off a cliff in the middle of the Blue Mountains
Literally, just hanging by the rope, feet dangling & hands guiding the rope
since our feet weren't on the cliff anymore the rope turned us around towards the mountains
this may have been my favorite moments of the day
the view was unreal & the feeling was like no other
suspended from a cliff, a rope helping me face these incredible mountains
turning me around in circles- facing the cliff, facing the mountains, facing the trees and on and on
I can't hardly begin to describe the feeling but those moments of:
intimidation, of the giant cliff I was hanging from
appreciation, that I was so blessed to go on this adventure
gratitude, that God gracefully created this world for us
awe, of the beauty of the mountains
amazement, how the trees, mountains, cliffs & canyons seem to go on forever
love, of everything and everyone around me
life, I just felt so full of life!


We had a really great lunch on top of the mountain:
tuna, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, hommus, apples
then we trekked down for the canyoning part of our day
We were sweating from the heat, sun, hiking & everything else
but since we were about to get into water that was less that 40 degrees fahrenheit
we happily suited up
from head to toe we wore:
helmets, beanies, 5mm full wetsuits, thermals, backpacks, dry bags, socks & water shoes
I felt like I was dying of heat as we put all that on 
but a minute later I was so thankful when my first toe touched the water
it was colder than ice & my feet went numb within the first two minutes
the thermals, wetsuit, beanie and everything else kept my body really warm though
We had the best time scrambing over rocks, through cave-like tunnels & across logs
we jumped off the walls of the canyon into pools of icy cold, beautiful waters
Some of the jumps we had to do backwards because of the rocks: 



We finally reached the waterfall
30 meters, just like the last cliff we abseiled before lunch
except this time we were wearing wetsuits and abseiling through the water
I was slightly terrified but I was more excited than anything
I lowered myself over the edge, I knew the feeling of going down 30 meters
but this time there was water coming down all around me and the rocks were more slippery 
I ended up making my way down some of the waterfall on my knees 
my feet just didn't want to stick on the rocks
when we got down to the bottom 5 meters of the waterfall we jumped
we let go of the rope, pushed our feet away from the rocks and jumped into our last pool of the day
It was amazing to look up and see the whole waterfall for the first time after we reached the bottom
I couldn't believe I had just come down all that way 
at the bottom of the waterfall, while we waited for everyone on the rocks, we met a snake
a baby Tiger Snake
Tiger Snakes are the second deadliest snakes in Australia but the baby ones are the #1 worst
We got away from him quickly and made the steep, uphill trek back up out of the mountains

A lot of that might sound a little scary but it really wasn't
It was so exciting, exhilarating, thrilling & perfect
Working our way from the little 5 meter cliff to the 30 meter waterfall 
I learned how to abseil a cliff, go canyoning & repel a waterfall
Today was my favorite day in Australia
it was my favorite experience ever 
I would recommend it to everyone who likes adventure
It strengthened my passion for the outdoors and renewed my undying love for adventure
Abseiling & Canyoning in the Blue Mountains in New South Wales, Australia
what could possibly be better
It was the best adventure I've ever had








No comments:

Post a Comment